Sunday, August 3, 2014

A Vintage Journey

When I was approached by A.Vintage Journey  challenge blog to do a guest spot how could I resist!!
With the "Vintage/shabby/Mixed Media"  style influenced by Tim Holtz it was right up my ally!

This weeks host Jenny has us painting/dripping/splatting ,etc
 using Distress stains! and while I only have
three bottles of Distress stains (hangs head in shame) 
I did mange to create my project.
An altered book made from two Canvases.
Stencils seem to be all the rage right now so I grabbed some of my favorites
and used Tim's music embossing folder and some 
tissue paper to protect the folder
and slapped on some texture paste.
I call this my Hidden Art!! 
I Laid out the stencils and  slapped on more texture paste.
If you look close you can see Tim's Crown I made from a stencil.

I let the entire thing dry, painted on a coat of white Acrylic paint 
and began the fun part of  coloring my canvas of hidden art.
I splotched, splattered and dripped on all those Distress Stains.
Misting with a water bottle when I wanted a softer look. 
I die cut one of Tim's Fleur-de-lis and pulled out his 
Grungeboard hinges. Inked them up and added a bit of gold
I even used the stains for my crinkle ribbon to match.
Another one of my favorite techniques via Tim!
The Bezel comes from A Gilded life I used Rangers Patina to give it a vintage look.
Love those Jade Verdigris and moss colors!

What to get in on the fun???
Check out

26 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

WoW - So pretty!
Send some of your creativity energy my way. LOL I started to get jewelry supplies out today, but remembered I have a busy week ahead so decided not a good idea.
Hope you have a great week.

bobbie said...

It looks wonderful! You can come borrow my DSs anytime...

Inkypinkycraft said...

A really beautiful piece x

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Lynn,
Congrats on your Guest spot at VJ. you have done them proud with this delightful textural cover, and the element is scrumptious.
Smiles:)
Sue

Create Beauty with Laurajo said...

Oh my Lynn, Love your altered book! It is so very pretty. Love all the hidden treasures. I would love to see how you used Tim's embossing folder, the tissue and paste to get all of that gorgeous texture. Thanks or sharing :)

Astrid Maclean said...

Such a great project Lynn, I adore the techniques you have used here and thanks so much for guesting for us at AVJ!!

misteejay said...

Beautiful creation Lynn. Isn't it fun slapping paste & distress stains all over the place.
Toni xx

Annie said...

A fabulous cover Lynn with lots of yummy layers and textures. It's lovely to have you join us at AVJ as Guest Designer. TFS and Have a great week
Annie x

Redanne said...

Your beautiful altered canvas/book is a real treasure in itself Lynn! I love the stencilling and the beautiful colours you have achieved and the little crown is wonderful. Anne xx

Brenda Brown said...

This is such a gorgeous project Lynn with so much technique and texture, I love it. Thanks for sharing your talents at A Vintage Journey and being a fabulous guest.
hugs Brenda xxx

Kikka N said...

The book is adorable!
Hugs
Kikka

Terry said...

It was so nice to see my GF join us at AVJ! Lynn, it was you who gave me the push and encouraged me way back as a TJ member! Thank you for that and all the wonderful inspirational art you share with all of us. This is gorgeous and I just love all the texture and vintage feel. Big hugs, GF!

rkramadh said...

Beautiful! I love the colors and textures. Could you please share some steps on the embossing folder/tissue paper stuff you mention...I didn't get that part, sorry. I understand the paste through the stencils, would love to see step by step if you don't mind please.............TFS.

Cheryl in Wisconsin said...

Absolutely beautiful.

Sandy said...

I am pea green withbenvy! Do you think these thins youself? How do you Lear how to do this? You creation is beautiful - even when you tell us how you did it, I still don't understand,
Sandy xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Congrats! This cover is gorgeous! Love the texture and wonderful tones!

Carolyn said...

Beautiful vintage journal; A Vintage Journey is lucky to have you design for this challenge. Your art projects are always top notch, very creative and original. Thanks for sharing the technique I viewed earlier today.

Hugs,
C

Carol McCready said...

Great book cover.

Diane said...

Congratulations, Lynn. It was fun reading about you on there. You have accomplished so much and I know you will keep going on to even greater things. This is a beautiful and elegant cover. Diane

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous piece Lynn, love the texture and the gorgeous colours , beautifully embellished too. Hope you are well. Tracy x

Unknown said...

Absolutely splendid, Lynn. The hinges look fantastic on this piece - the perfect touch. The whole piece makes me drooool and of course, WANT! hugs, Donna

2dogs2luv said...

I'd like to come & live w/YOU! Wonderful chare.

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

What a treasure this it. Love it.
Have a wonderful week,Lynn.
Hugs,
Marie

Evelyn S. said...

I believe that you could have only 3 supply items, and you could create a fabulous piece!

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is brilliant Lynn! So many lovely details to take in and true inspiration! Chris

Createology said...

Late to your post however I am enchanted with this piece of art you have created. Lovely with so many details and layers of interest. Creative Bliss Indeed...

Blog Archive